How Big Should a Rug Be Under a Coffee Table?
Do you want to spruce up your living room with a new rug? Or looking to add a little extra cosiness and warmth to your seating area? Then you’ve come to the right place. Finding the right sized rug for your coffee table does not have to be an intimidating process. All it takes is a few helpful pointers and you can make the perfect decision for your home.
Measuring the Room
- Start by measuring the width and length of your room. This will help set boundaries when selecting the right size rug.
- Always measure twice and write it down!
Rug Sizing Guidelines
- For living rooms with smaller furniture (e.g. loveseats, a small coffee table) a 3×5 or 5×7 rug should be adequate
- For regular sized sofas, aim for a large 8×10 rug
- If you have a sectional sofa, look for an even bigger rug, such as a 9×12 or 10×14 size.
- A good rule of thumb is to measure the sofa, and then go up at least two feet beyond the length and width.
Aside from size, shape also matters when finding the right rug. If you have a square or round coffee table, an equal shaped rug is ideal. If your table is long and rectangular, a long and narrow shaped rug is the way to go.
Where to Place the Rug
Once you find your optimal size and shape, determine where to place the rug. You want to position the rug so that all furniture legs are on the rug. Additionally, leave a few inches of breathing space between the rug and the walls.
Making it Feel Even Cozier
For a more finished look, select a rug that matches with your furniture, curtains and walls of your room. Or, you can choose a complementary colour. The idea here is to make it feel more integrated in your living space and evoke a cosy feel.
Now that you are familiar with the basics of rug sizing, you can enjoy the shopping process. Have fun and let yourself get creative to find the perfect rug under your coffee table.