How to React if your Dog Drinks Coffee
It is important to act quickly when your dog drinks coffee, as it can be harmful to their health. Depending on how much your dog has ingested, the effects can range from mild to severe.
Steps to Take
- Stay Calm: Remove the source of the coffee from your pet and stay as calm as possible. Animals feed off of the energy of their owners, and fear or distress can have a negative effect on your pup.
- Check the Amount: Estimate how much coffee your dog has had. Generally, a few licks or a small sip won’t cause much worry, but drinking more than a teaspoon can be concerning.
- Call the Vet: Contact your veterinarian for further advice. Make sure you have information about the kind of coffee and approximate amount on hand.
- Watch for Symptoms: Monitor your pet for signs of toxicity, including restlessness or agitation, vomiting, diarrhea, increased heart rate, seizures, or organ failure.
- Stay Updated: Allow your vet to keep track of your pet’s condition. Have regular check-ins and be prepared to bring your dog into the office if necessary.
It is important that you take proper care of your dog after they have consumed coffee. Many of the potentially harmful ingredients in coffee can be toxic to pets, so immediate action is necessary. By following these steps, you can help keep your pup healthy and happy.