Are Coffee Grounds Safe to Eat?
Eating coffee grounds may seem like a strange thing to do, but some people swear by its benefits. Is it safe to eat coffee grounds, though?
Benefits of Eating Coffee Grounds
Some people claim that eating coffee grounds has several positive benefits. These include:
- Weight loss – Coffee grounds are said to be good for fat burning and promoting a healthy weight.
- High levels of antioxidants – Antioxidants, which are beneficial to health, may be present in coffee grounds.
- Nutrients – Coffee grounds are said to contain several important nutrients such as magnesium, iron and copper.
Risks of Eating Coffee Grounds
Although there may be potential benefits of eating coffee grounds, there are also potential risks. These include:
- Too much caffeine – Eating too much caffeine can cause insomnia and jitteriness.
- Acidity – Coffee grounds are very acidic which can damage the lining of your stomach and intestines.
- Choking hazard – Eating coffee grounds can pose a choking hazard as they can easily get stuck in your throat.
It is unclear if eating coffee grounds is beneficial or not. Some people say that it has many positive benefits, while others say that the risks outweigh the benefits. As such, it is best to consult with your doctor before eating coffee grounds.