Is Coffee Bad When You’re On Your Period?
Coffee has always been one of the most popular beverages around. But if you’re a woman on her period, should you be drinking coffee? The answer depends on what kind of effect you expect.
Advantages of Coffee During Periods
- Caffeinated beverages are a great way to increase energy, alertness, and motivation. This could be especially useful if you’re feeling extra tired during your period.
- Coffee can help with cramps and pain during periods. It has high levels of magnesium which can act as a natural pain relief.
- Some studies have even linked coffee consumption to a reduced risk of endometriosis, a condition characterized by tissue growing outside of the uterus.
Disadvantages of Coffee During Periods
- Too much caffeine can have a negative effect on your sleep. This can be especially inconvenient when you’re already low on energy.
- Coffee can cause anxiety and irritability if consumed in higher quantities. This could be a spoiler to what could be an otherwise enjoyable experience.
- Frequent consumption of coffee could potentially irritate the bladder which can cause cramps and other discomfort.
The effects of coffee can be both beneficial and detrimental during periods. It is recommended that you find the right amount that works best for you and stick to it. Keeping track of your intake could also be a great way to make sure that you’re getting the most out of your coffee without overdoing it.