How to Make Pour Over Coffee with a Chemex
Brewing coffee using a Chemex Pour Over is an easy and effective way to make great coffee. With its wide design, the Chemex makes it easy to maintain even coffee temperatures and produce a clear, balanced cup of coffee. Here is what you need to know to make an amazing cup of coffee with your Chemex Pour Over.
What You’ll Need
- Chemex Pour Over
- Ground Coffee
- Hot Water
- Measuring Scoop
- Stirring Tool (preferred but not necessary)
Steps for Making Pour Over Coffee with your Chemex
- 1. Place your Chemex on a flat surface and add your ground coffee. Use a measuring scoop to help you maintain a consistent amount of coffee. We recommend using 17-18 grams of coffee for every 8 ounces of water.
- 2. Boil your water to 208-209 degrees Fahrenheit. Pour your hot water in a circular motion over the grounds, wetting them all evenly.
- 3. Once all the grounds are wet, let the coffee “bloom” or expand and release carbon dioxide. Drizzle a little hot water over the grounds if needed to help release the gases. This should take between 35-45 seconds.
- 4. Once the bloom is complete, begin to slowly pour the rest of the water into the grounds, keeping the same circular motion. This should take between 2-3 minutes.
- 5. Once all of the water is added, gently stir the grounds with your stirring tool or spoon. You can use this stirring motion to help create a more consistent extraction.
- 6. Let the coffee finish draining. This should take around 4-4.5 minutes.
- 7. Once the dripping sound stops, your coffee is ready. Enjoy!
And that’s it! You should now have a perfectly brewed cup of Pour Over coffee using your Chemex. With a little practice, you should be able to dial in your recipes and get the perfect cup of coffee every time.