How Long to Grind Coffee Beans?
Having freshly ground coffee is a major key to making a consistently delicious cup of coffee. But in order to do so, you need to know how long to grind your beans. Here are some tips to grinding your coffee beans for the perfect cup.
Consider Your Brewing Method
The length of time you grind your beans will depend on the brewing method you are using. Here are some guidelines for common brewing methods:
- Pour-over coffee: Medium-fine to fine grind, 10-15 seconds
- Aeropress: Medium-fine grind, 10-15 seconds
- French Press: Coarse grind, 15-20 seconds
- Espresso: Very fine grind, 10-15 seconds
Manual or Electric Grinder
You can also choose to use a manual or electric grinder.
- Manual Grinder: Manual grinders are more inexpensive than electric grinders and tend to be more consistent with their grind size. However, they take a bit more time and effort. Depending on the size and density of your beans, it can take between 2-5 minutes to grind your coffee.
- Electric Grinders: Electric grinders have more precise settings, but they can also be more expensive. Depending on the grinder you own, you can grind your beans in as little as 15-20 seconds.
Knowing how long to grind your coffee beans is key for making a delicious cup of coffee. Depending on your brewing method, you should use a certain grind size and grind for a certain amount of time. Manual grinders will take a bit longer than electric grinders, but in the end, both give you the same quality grind.