Can I Drink Coffee the Morning of My Colonoscopy?
Colonoscopies are important medical tests, but they can also be intimidating and confusing. One question many people ask is whether they can have coffee the morning of their colonoscopy. The answer depends on a few factors.
Things to Consider
- When you scheduled your procedure: Most instructions for colonoscopies will tell you not to drink anything other than clear liquids the day before your screening and nothing at all the morning of. Check your instructions to confirm when you should stop drinking.
- What type of coffee you’d have: You may be able to have black coffee without sugar or creamer, but steer clear of flavored coffee, café favorites, and espresso drinks. These have too much sugar, fat, and dairy, which can all interfere with the colonoscopy.
- Your doctor’s advice: Talk with your doctor if you have any questions or concerns about what you can and cannot drink before your colonoscopy.
Other Tips for Preparing for Your Colonoscopy
- Do not eat after midnight before your procedure.
- Take any necessary medications with a sip of water.
- Arrange for a friend or family member to take you to and from the appointment.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery the rest of the day.
In most cases, the answer to the question “Can I have coffee the morning of my colonoscopy?” is no. But whatever you do, make sure you follow your healthcare provider’s instructions. Doing so will significantly improve your chances of having a safe and successful procedure.