Using Alternatives to Coffee Filters
If you happen to be out of coffee filters, there are plenty of alternatives you can use. Since not all of them will work for all types of brewing machines, it’s important to understand which ones would be more suitable for the type of brewer you have.
Automatic Drip Machines
- Reusable filters: These are eco-friendly and while they are more expensive than traditional paper varieties, you can reuse them over and over.
- Cheesecloth: This makes for a great alternative, although it promises to impart some flavor of its own as a result of being made from natural fibers. It’s a great last resort.
- Old T-shirts: If you have something made out of cotton laying around, you can fashion these into makeshift filters out of them.
French Press or Moka Pot
- Mesh strainer: These are quite easy to find, although all mesh strainers may not be suitable for this style of brewing.
- Pantyhose: This material is essentially made up of the same material as a traditional paper filter, but with a lot more flexibility.
- Paper towels: Not the most traditional of methods, but they will work in a pinch.
There are plenty of alternatives coffee filter you can use in different types of coffee makers if you happen to be out. While using alternatives won’t provide the same quality of coffee, they can still allow you to have your favorite cup when you’re in a bind.